Alibaba Group Generated USD 14.3 Billion of GMV on 2015 11.11 Global Shopping Festival
"This day demonstrates the power of domestic China consumption, and the Chinese consumer's strong demand for international products," said Daniel Zhang, chief executive officer of Alibaba Group. "It also showcases how Alibaba uses big data, cloud computing and mobile innovations to create the best shopping experience for buyers and sellers."
Key highlights from the 2015 11.11 Global Shopping Festival
- Total GMV settled through Alipay was USD 14.3 billion (RMB 91.2 billion), an increase of 60 percent compared to 2014
- Total mobile GMV settled through Alipay was approximately USD 9.8 billion (RMB 62.6 billion), exceeding total GMV in 2014, and accounted for 68.7 percent of total GMV
- Total mobile GMV increased by 158 percent compared to 2014
- Total number of mobile buyers on Tmall.com and Taobao Marketplace was 95 million
- Alipay processed a total of 710 million payment transactions, and processed 85,900 transactions per second at peak
- AliCloud processed a total of 140,000 transactions per second at peak
This year's 11.11 highlighted Alibaba's globalization strategy, allowing Chinese consumers to purchase high-quality, authentic global brands and imported goods from businesses of all sizes around the world. Key highlights include:
- More than 16,000 international brands with completed transactions
- 33 percent of total buyers purchased from international brands or merchants
- Buyers and sellers from 232 countries and regions
- Top countries selling to China included: United States, Japan, South Korea, Germany and Australia
In addition, Alibaba's logistics partner and affiliate, Cainiao Logistics, received 467 million delivery orders during the 24-hour shopping period, more than 15 times the daily average of 30 million orders, and representing a 68 percent year-over-year increase from 278 million orders in 2014 11.11. Cainiao Logistics also generated more than 120 million e-waybills, a system created by Cainiao Logistics that shares shipping information among delivery firms, customers and merchants. As the facilitator of an ecosystem with 386 million annual active buyers, Alibaba manages the high volume of orders and packages through a robust partnership of logistics networks and delivery companies. The company also leverages proprietary data management applications and forecasting systems to ensure the delivery of hundreds of millions of packages across China and around the world.
The company also leverages proprietary data management applications and forecasting systems to ensure the delivery of hundreds of millions of packages across China and around the world.