Las Vegas Celebrates the Impact of Meetings and Conventions on Global Meetings Industry Day 2018
The day is especially important for Las Vegas as the meetings, conventions and trade show industry has a significant impact on the local economy supporting 65,000 jobs and generating more than $9.3 billion in economic impact. The destination recorded an all-time high for convention visitation in 2017, welcoming 6.6 million business travelers.
“In Las Vegas, business travel is a critical component of our overall visitation mix, driving our economy and providing critical jobs for those who call southern Nevada home,” said Rossi Ralenkotter, CEO of the LVCVA. “The impact of the meeting and convention industry is astounding and we celebrate the vision of events like GMID for encouraging advocacy, education and the need to support initiatives that move us forward.”
The LVCVA and industry partners recognized the importance of the meetings industry on GMID observance day and used the message of the industry to encourage the opportunity to evolve messaging surrounding the event to ‘Global Meetings IMPACT Day.’ The shift in verbiage is intended to amplify the valuable mission and purpose of the event which intends to educate the public about the wide-reaching positive impact face-to-face meetings have on global economies and driving business forward.
On April 12, nearly 200 meetings industry leaders and professionals gathered at The Venetian Theater inside The Venetian Las Vegas for presentations emphasizing the impact of meetings and conventions for economic growth. Topics of discussion included recent succesess and upcoming trends in the meeting and convention industry.
The event kicked off with an insightful presentation from Paul Van Deventer of Meeting Professionals International outlining important trends in the meetings landscape.
GMID is an observance launched by the Meetings Mean Business Coalition in an effort to showcase the real impact that business meetings, conferences, conventions, incentive travel, trade shows and exhibitions have on people, business and communities. Meetings Mean Business Coalition, an extension of U.S. Travel, provides resources to promote and defend the value of business meetings and travel on our economy. U.S. Travel continues to be a leading voice in reminding policymakers of the value of government meetings and travel under all fiscal environments.
With more than $15 billion worth of investment and development projects announced or in the works throughout the destination, including the Las Vegas Convention Center District (LVCCD) Project and the addition of new meeting and convention space across the detsination, Las Vegas is well positined to maintain it’s position as North America’s No. 1 trade show destination for decades to come.
Las Vegas boasts more than 11 million square feet of meeting space in addition to a wide array of event, dining and entertainment venues that are also used for group business. Trade Show News Network recently recognized Las Vegas as the No. 1 trade show destination in the country for the 24th consecutive year after hosting 47 of the largest trade shows in North America.
Las Vegas hosts nearly 22,000 meetings and conventions annually. One reason Las Vegas is a top choice year after year, is that there is always something new to see and experience. Our resort and business partners continually invest in improvements to keep the destination fresh and appealing to business travelers. Some recent updates and upgrades include:
• ARIA Resort & Casino -- One of North America’s premier destinations for large-scale, tech-forward conferences and events, ARIA Resort & Casino has opened an additional 200,000 square feet of flexible meeting space across four stories. The approximately $170 million expansion is highlighted by stunning indoor/open-air verandas with retractable windows and dramatic views of The Park and T-Mobile Arena. Now with a total of 500,000 square feet of convention space and diverse options within the neighborhood, ARIA can accommodate larger convention groups and attract new business.
• Brooklyn Bowl Las Vegas -- From an intimate party for 10 to blowing the roof off with 3,000, Brooklyn Bowl will create a killer event to remember at one of the largest and coolest performance venues in America. They anticipate and take care of every last detail, so groups can simply relax and enjoy a one-of-a-kind night. Located at The LINQ, the open-air district in the center of The Strip, the multi-dimensional concert space boasts 32 lanes of bowling, 6 on-site bars, multiple meeting rooms throughout 80,000 square feet, and food curated by the world-renowned Blue Ribbon Restaurants. With a 40’ by 26’ stage and sense-stimulating sound and lighting systems, Brooklyn Bowl provides the perfect after party experience. The team can assist with booking local and national talent, DJs, or a variety of entertainment options.
• CAESARS FORUM -- Caesars Entertainment is developing CAESARS FORUM, a brand new 550,000 square foot conference center in Las Vegas. The $375 million investment will feature the two largest pillarless ballrooms in the world, located at the center of the Las Vegas Strip. Scheduled to officially open in 2020, CAESARS FORUM will feature 300,000-square-feet of flexible meeting space, with two 108,000 square foot ballrooms, two 40,000 square foot ballrooms and four boardrooms. The conference center can hold meetings for more than 10,000 attendees and will offer the latest in technology, a modern design, natural light and a neutral pallet.
• Delano Las Vegas -- In February 2018, Delano introduced an all-inclusive package for incentive groups, creating stress-free planning and budgeting. For groups of 10 rooms or more, MGM Resorts’ first all-inclusive group package allows incentive attendees to enjoy the amenities and services at Delano as well as Mandalay Bay, utilizing one master account.. Additional package options allow the planner to customize the group experience, catering to group interests such as entertainment, dining and attractions.
• Enclave Las Vegas -- Enclave, Las Vegas’ newest standalone 75,000-square-foot meetings and events venue, is designed to accommodate any event at any scale. Located just one mile south of McCarran International Airport, Enclave is available for product launches, press conferences, conventions, galas, weddings and more. Backed by industry powerhouse and sister-company, 3G Productions, Enclave comes fully equipped with state-of-the-art lighting and audio/video technology, electrical distribution, acoustically designed spaces and a top-of-the-line loading dock for care and efficiency. Plus, Enclave’s team of experienced hospitality professionals ensure the highest level of service for all events. Enclave’s 9,000-sqaure-foot Signature Room has a clear ceiling height of 34 ft. and the rigging capabilities to hoist up to 40 tons – an asset no other venue in town can accommodate. The Vivace Rooftop deck offers a stunning panoramic view of the Las Vegas Strip and surrounding mountains, plus it’s 5,000-square-foot space offers its own full-service prep area and is fully prepared to host events for up to 350 guests.
• Gordon Ramsay’s Hell’s Kitchen Multi-Michelin star chef and television personality Gordon Ramsay, joined by the finalists of Season 17 HELL’S KITCHEN All-Stars and famous faces from the sports and entertainment world, celebrated the official grand opening of the first-ever Gordon Ramsay HELL’S KITCHEN restaurant at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas. Since its soft opening in early January, the highly-anticipated restaurant has already received reservations for nearly 25,000 guests. HELL's KITCHEN's opened seating area is perfect for groups, accommodating 250 sitting and a reception for 350 attendees.
• Las Vegas Convention Center District (LVCCD) -- The LVCVA and local leaders gathered to celebrate the historic ceremonial groundbreaking for the LVCCD during CES 2018 to celebrate the next phase of the monumental expansion project. The LVCCD’s Phase Two is an $860 million expansion project that will add 1.4 million square feet to the current convention center facility, including at least 600,000 square feet of new, leasable exhibit space. The expansion is slated for completion in time to welcome CES in 2021. The LVCCD expansion and renovation are expected to support nearly 14,000 construction jobs and nearly 7,800 full-time permanent jobs upon completion. The project will generate an additional $2.1 billion in economic activity during construction and upon completion will have an annual incremental economic impact of $810 million while attracting more than 600,000 additional visitors each year.
• Luxor -- Appealing to small to mid-size meetings, Luxor hosts groups from corporate to incentive with a focus on association business. Accommodating groups of 10 to 900, the new 20,000-square-foot Galleria Square features the 8,000-square-foot Lotus Ballroom, five meeting rooms ranging from 1,400 -1,650 square feet, and a 4,700-square-foot pre-function area. With the expansion, Luxor’s meeting space now totals more than 40,000 square feet. Adjacent to its sister resort Mandalay Bay, Luxor can support larger groups holding meetings next door, creating over an 8,000-room campus. To further enhance the group appeal, Luxor is redesigning more than 1,700 hotel Tower Rooms with a modern, distinctly residential feel and workspace area to meet the ever-growing needs of business travelers.
• MGM Grand Conference Center -- After breaking ground in June 2017 on an expansion of its award-winning conference center, MGM Grand celebrated an official topping off ceremony in January 2018. The $130 million project adds 250,000 square feet for a total of more than 850,000 square feet at the property upon completion. Stay Well Meetings, the industry’s first-ever wellness meetings experience, which launched at MGM Grand, is also expanding its footprint. Demonstrating the demand for a new way to conduct business, Stay Well Meetings feature amenities and programs that offer the kinds of healthy, productive and creative work environments that many clients are actively seeking. The expansion is scheduled for completion by the end of 2018.
• Park MGM -- As part of Monte Carlo’s transformation into Park MGM, the resort has introduced Phase I of its new 77,000-square-foot conference space and welcomed its first major client during CES, the city’s largest annual show. Combining innovative, non-traditional spaces, an outdoor terrace and flexible design, Park MGM fills an unmet need in Las Vegas for small groups, while also offering the ability to host up to 5,000 attendees in the customizable Park Theater. In Phase II, Park MGM will introduce Las Vegas’ first Executive Meeting Center (Madison Meeting Center) in May and Ideation Studio in Q4 2018 – high-touch, high-tech meeting venues designed to maximize productivity for small groups. Additionally, Park MGM includes an installation of Stay Well Rooms and Meetings, the most comprehensive wellness room and meeting experiences.
• Portofino at The Mirage -- Reflecting the quaint Italian village with its rustic décor, vintage wood fixtures and Tuscan-style chandeliers. Portofino is The Mirage’s newest meeting venue. Whether sipping on a classic cocktail in the inviting 1,000-square-foot Cocktail Lounge or enjoying cuisine from a custom menu within the 3,700-square-foot Dining Room, the intimate venue can accommodate 35 to 175 guests for breakfast, lunch, dinner or receptions.
• Shelby American Experience -- The Shelby American Experience is a true piece of Americana. Founded in 1962, Shelby American is the only car manufacturer in Las Vegas and the entire state of Nevada. Shelby American offers visitors an up close, behind the scenes view of American Muscle cars being built in real time. Located just off the Las Vegas strip and Sunset Road, the heritage center is open 7 days a week. Private tours and special events are offered with advance reservations.
• Sundance Helicopters -- Sundance Helicopters distinctive accommodations were designed to seamlessly handle any occasion. The main event space features vaulted ceilings and multiple training and conference rooms. Maximum occupancy is 190 indoors and up to 500 guests can be accommodated utilizing our outdoor spaces. For 12 or more guests, Sundance Helicopters offer several different group tour options to choose from including corporate team-building, customer appreciation, client events and other celebrations. We can handle tour groups of almost any size. Select from our current helicopter tours, or we can create a custom experience that includes options like the Valley of Fire, Mount Charleston, golf courses and more.
• The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas -- The Cosmopolitan offers 190,000 square feet of meeting and convention space that is both functional and sophisticated. The layout caters to guest convenience and accessibility thanks in part to the resort’s uniquely vertical design which allows direct, room-to-conference access. In addition to traditional spaces, The Cosmopolitan is building on the rising trend of experiential offerings amongst business travelers. The luxury resort boasts a dynamic selection of flexible meeting and reception space, such as Boulevard Pool, a multi-level rooftop experience with dramatic views of the Las Vegas Strip and The Chelsea, marrying sophisticated design with unparalleled functionality for a diverse range of events including concerts, keynote addresses, sporting events and general assemblies. Additional updates include newly refreshed guest rooms across both the Boulevard and The Chelsea towers. The project, which launched Summer 2017, will be fully complete at the end of 2018 with 2,895 of the resort’s 3,041 rooms remodeled with a modern design, bold art and more advanced technology.
• The Sphere -- The Madison Square Garden Company is redefining live entertainment through iconic venues that will feature game-changing technologies and pioneer the next generation of transformative, immersive experiences. To be known as “MSG Sphere,” these music and entertainment-focused venues will revolutionize the way artists and audiences connect. The company will begin in Las Vegas, where it is looking to break ground in the second half of 2018 for the venue to open as early as late 2020.
The first-of-its-kind venue will feature an iconic spherical shape, a scalable capacity of more than 18,000 seats, and first-class amenities such as luxurious seating and hospitality offerings for a wide range of audiences. A fully-programmable exterior, an interior bowl that features the largest and highest resolution media display on Earth, and a dynamically adaptive acoustics system that will deliver crystal clear audio to every guest are a some of the cutting-edge technologies that will be featured.
• The Venetian and The Palazzo Las Vegas -- The Palazzo Las Vegas is celebrating 10 years of hosting meetings guests with a stunning make-over. The guest experience has been elevated from end-to-end, including refreshed oversized suites, a reimagined casino, elegant new retail, and three new elevated cocktail bar experiences. Where European inspiration meets the grandeur of Las Vegas, The Palazzo offers a sophisticated yet relaxed take on luxury. Renowned, world-class chefs and some of the city’s most exclusive shopping make it a sought-after destination for visitors. At the same time, the residential, all-suite rooms and refined amenities create a home away from home—a place where guests can connect, nourish themselves, and breathe easy. As a part of the Sands ECO360 Sustainability Program, sustainable design and construction practices were incorporated during recent remodels and renovations of every guest suite at The Venetian and The Palazzo. All these measures not only save substantial amount of energy and water but also improve guest satisfaction.
• Tuscany Suites & Casino -- Tuscany Suites & Casino recently unveiled a $5 million renovation of guest rooms and facilities throughout the property which accommodate needs of the business traveler. The upstairs banquet space was recently refurbished to offer more than 37,000 square feet of meeting facilities including ornate Italian balconies with scenic views of the gardens and lagoon pool.
• Wynn Las Vegas -- Wynn Las Vegas will debut a state-of-the-art luxury meetings and conventions development in March 2020 that is unlike anything else in Las Vegas. The new 280,000 square foot complex is conceived as an oasis in the middle of the desert on repurposed land that was previously the Wynn golf course. With sweeping views over two levels, the space is an elegant blend of lush landscape, cutting-edge technology and striking indoor/outdoor design. The development will be adjacent to and overlook a 25-acre lagoon, a first for Las Vegas. The elaborate water attraction will be lined by a winding boardwalk, and will feature recreational daytime activities and nightly entertainment. At its foundation is a reimagined approach to clean energy use. The space will be powered by 100 percent renewable energy sourced from the new 160-acre Wynn Solar Energy Facility, making this one of the most eco-friendly developments in Las Vegas and an industry first for a gaming operator in Nevada.