SOURCE: National Mobility Equipment Dealer's Association
May is National Mobility Awareness Month
National Mobility Awareness Month is dedicated to showing the world how people with disabilities can live active, mobile lifestyles.
Did you know?
• People with disabilities constitute the largest minority group in the United States
• Over 18 million people in the U.S. and Canada have mobility issues
• One in five elderly have mobility issues
• You have a 20% chance of becoming disabled at some point
• National Mobility Equipment Dealer Association members provide mobility solutions
National Mobility Awareness Month national spokesperson, triathlete, skier, sailor, golfer, writer, marathoner, photographer, aspiring drummer – and C6, 7 quadriplegic, Mike Savicki talks about overcoming the challenges of living with disabilities. In November 1990, while training to become an F-14 pilot, Savicki sustained a severe spinal cord injury after diving into the waters off Pensacola Beach, Fla. that forever changed his life.
He shares his personal story and how finding the right resources have allowed him to live an active, mobile lifestyle, including automotive mobility solutions that most people don't know exist. He also talks about how to honor someone in your life who triumphs over adversity by nominating them for a chance to be named a Local Hero - and win a wheelchair accessible van.
Available content includes soundbites from Mike Savicki, and B-roll.