SOURCE: S&D Group at European Parliament
European elections must be more attractive to citizens and parties (EN/DE/FR)
The European Parliament last night approved a draft reform of the Electoral Act of 1976 to make the next European elections more visible and attractive for citizens.
Among the measures proposed by MEPs Jo Leinen and Danuta Hübner, we find:
- The possibility for all EU citizens living abroad to vote in European elections.
- The increase of the electronic, online and postal voting.
- Improving the gender balance among citizens' representatives.
- The lowering of the voting age to 16.
- The nomination of lead candidates to become the President of the European Commission.
This broadcast video package contains 1 ready-to-air and 2 B-Rolls videos with:
- Extracts of the plenary vote on the electoral reform of the EU
- Vox Pop on the European elections (Brussels)
- An interview with the co-author of the report, S&D MEP Jo Leinen (natural soundbites in English and German)
- Stock shots on the European elections day (MAY 2014)