SOURCE: S&D Group at European Parliament
François Hollande met with S&D MEPs to discuss a new European vision
Today, the President of the French Republic François Hollande and the Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany Angela Merkel debated with the European Parliament on the current situation in the Union and the challenges to be tackled, notably on migration policies.
Speaking after the interventions of the two Heads of State, the President of the Socialist and Democrat Group in the European Parliament, Gianni Pittella stated: "In the past the Franco-German rapprochement has been one of the major factors contributing to the integration of Europe; there was a common political vision behind this political cooperation. It is important that Chancellor Merkel and President Hollande have come to testify directly to the house of the European citizens, but Europe needs a new vision now. Europe needs a gradual but inexorable new political project supported and shared by all member states. We can no longer imagine imposing further integration from the top down. The inter-governmental model is out-dated and must finally be overcome".
This broadcast B-ROLL video package contains:
- Footage of François Hollande and Angela Merkel arriving at the plenary room
- Extracts of François Hollande's intervention in the plenary room (French soundbites, English subtitles available)
- Extracts of Gianni Pittella's intervention in the plenary room (Italian soundbites, English subtitles available)
- Interview with Gianni Pittella (English soundbites)
- Footage of François Hollande discussing with S&D Group's members