14 Oct 2015
Ready-to-air video in English: 'COP21: MEPs vote for A binding Climate Agreement'.
BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (OCTOTBER 30, 2015) (SOCIALISTS AND DEMOCRATS, EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT - ACCESS ALL)
1. CUTAWAY: VARIOUS OF EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT IN BRUSSELS (EXTERIOR)
2. CUTAWAY: VARIOUS OF THE VOTING SESSION IN THE PLENARY ROOM
3. VOICE-OVER SAYING (ENGLISH):
This evening, MEPs voted in favour of binding measures ahead of the climate talks which will gather world leaders in Paris in December.
4. GILLES PARGNEAUX (EP rapporteur on the COP21 resolution) SAYING (FRENCH):
“Today, about 24 million people were displaced because of the climate. If we don’t do anything, 100 million or 200 million people will become climate refugees.”
5. CUTAWAYS: VARIOUS OF GILLES PARGNEAUX TALKING TO HIS ASSISTANT
6. CUTAWAYS: LARGE PLAN OF A BELGIAN TOWN
7. LARGE PLAN OF A POLLUTING FACTORY IN THE TOWN
8. VOICE-OVER SAYING (ENGLISH):
In order to keep the global warming below 2°C, the European Parliament’s delegation which will be attending the talks, calls for an ambitious reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.
9. GILLES PARGNEAUX (EP rapporteur on the COP21 resolution) SAYING (FRENCH):
“Our first proposal is to totally eliminate greenhouse gases in the world by 2050. We also want a 40% reduction by 2030 in Europe.”.
10. MOTION DESIGNED INFOGRAPHICS AND VOICE-OVER SAYING (ENGLISH):
The mandate also specifiess that renewable energies have to represent 30% of the global consumption of energy by 2030. Today, it only accounts for 19% of it.
9. CUTAWAY: KATHLEEN VAN BREMPT ARRIVING AT THE INTERVIEW’S PLACE
10. KATHLEEN VAN BREMPT (S&D VICE-PRESIDENT) SAYING (ENGLISH):
“ Renewables are not only important to meet our climate goals. They make sure that we have cleaner air, which is an important environmental effect. And on top of that, it is very good for our economy”.
11. MOTION DESIGNED INFOGRAPHICS AND VOICE-OVER SAYING (ENGLISH):
It is estimated that renewable energy provides about 6.5 million jobs worldwide and we also know that for every 10 new jobs created by investing in the fossil fuel industry, investing the same amount of money in renewables creates 15 new jobs. If the market is promising, it requires gathering important funds.
12. KATHLEEN VAN BREMPT (S&D VICE-PRESIDENT) SAYING (ENGLISH):
“ In Copenhagen, we already agreed internationally to raise 100 billion euros per year by 2020. It is also important to see whether we can have new revenues from the ETS or the financial transaction tax. These can make sure that the money is gathered”.
13. CUTAWAY: CLOSE-UP ON KATHLEEN VAN BREMPT‘S EYES
14. CUTAWAY: VARIOUS OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT (EXTERIOR)
15. CUTAWAY: FLAG OF THE UNITED NATIONS AT THE COP18 IN DOHA
16. VOICE-OVER SAYING (ENGLISH):
By voting for a legally binding protocol, the European Parliament wants to end the tradition of disappointing climate summits and push Heads of States to Meet their responsibilities on global warming.
This media asset is free for editorial broadcast, print, online and radio use. It is restricted for use for other purposes.