10 Nov 2015
Ready-to-air version of the package "European elections must be more attractive to citizens ans parties".
BRUXELLES, BELGIQUE (NOVEMBER 10 & 11, 2015) (SOCIALISTS AND DEMOCRATS, EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT - ACCESS ALL)
1. 1VOICE-OVER (ENGLISH): Yesterday evening, the European Parliament approved a set of proposals to reform the electoral system in the EU.
2. CUTAWAYS: VARIOUS SHOTS OF THE VOTING SESSION IN THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT (INTERIOR)
3. VOICE-OVER (ENGLISH): But what do European elections mean to EU citizens?
4. VOXPOP (VARIOUS VIDEO QUOTES FROM BRUSSEL’S CITIZENS SAYING - FRENCH):
- “Brussels is very important for me”
- “Yes, as for everybody”
- “Without a European government, nothing will change”
- “I think this is important”
- “It is important in theory but there is no connection with the everyday citizen”
5. VOICE-OVER (ENGLISH): The goal behind the electoral reform is precisely to reduce that gap
6. CUTAWAYS: JO LEINEN (CO-AUTHOR OF THE EP RESOLUTION ON THE ELECTORAL REFORM) TALKING TO A JOURNALIST
7. JO LEINEN SAYING (ENGLISH): “We want to make the next European elections much more attractive and visible”.
8. VOICE-OVER (ENGLISH): But what are the key measures proposed in the reform?
9. JO LEINEN SAYING (ENGLISH): “We propose that young people at the age of 16 should be able to participate in European elections and that maybe in the future we’ll have electronic voting”.
10. VOICE-OVER (ENGLISH): Electronic votes and lowering the voting age, what do citizens think about that?
11. CUTAWAYS: CLOSE-PLAN OF A CONVOCATION TO VOTE
12. CUTAWAYS: YOUNG WOMAN ENTERING THE ELECTORAL STATION WITH HER CONVOCATION
13. VOXPOP (VARIOUS VIDEO QUOTES FROM BRUSSEL’S CITIZENS SAYING - FRENCH):
- “Today, 16-years-old people are
as mature as when we were 18.”
- “16 is too young.”
- “We would't have to wake up in the morning,
we would vote via our computers. That would be great”
14. VOICE-OVER (ENGLISH): Improving the gender balance is also part of the proposals.
15. CUTAWAYS: CLOSE-PLANS OF WOMENS’ ELECTORAL POSTERS
16. JO LEINEN SAYING (ENGLISH): “In the future, we should have tip lists or equivalent methods to respect equality between men and women”.
17. VOICE-OVER (ENGLISH): Your opinion, Madam?
18. VOXPOP (VARIOUS VIDEO QUOTES FROM BRUSSEL’S CITIZENS SAYING - FRENCH):
- “This is absolutely essential”
- “For me, ideas and politics have no sex”
- “We need a gender parity on the European voting lists”
19. VOICE-OVER (ENGLISH): A last important point is the nomination by each political party of one candidate to be the President of the European Commission. Through their vote, citizens will have a bigger vote in this process.
20. CUTAWAYS: VARIOUS SHOTS OF THE 2014 EUROPEAN ELECTION NIGHT IN THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT
21. JO LEINEN SAYING (ENGLISH): “So peoples’ vote elect the Parliament and the Parliament’s vote elect the boss of the European executive body”.
22. VOICE-OVER (ENGLISH): A big step forward for the democracy and transparency whithin the European project. If these proposals are approved by the EU governments, they should be implemented for the next European elections… in 2019.
23. CUTAWAYS: VARIOUS SHOTS OF THE 2014 EUROPEAN ELECTION NIGHT IN THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT
This media asset is free for editorial broadcast, print, online and radio use. It is restricted for use for other purposes.