05 Dec 2013
Brussels , Belgium
Brussels, 5tt of December. The European Parliament's S&D Group and the PES Group of the Committee of the Regions held today a joint conference on "Roma inclusion - Challenges and opportunities at the local level".
BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (DECEMBER 05, 2013) (SOCIALISTS AND DEMOCRATS, EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT - ACCESS ALL)
1. CUTAWAY: VARIOUS OF EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT IN BRUSSELS (EXTERIOR)
2. CUTAWAY: PANEL DURING THE CONFERENCE
3. CUTAWAY: SYLVIE GUILLAUME (S&D MEP, FR) SAYING (FRENCH):
"Concerning the question of the Roma community there are the big general concepts, which aim at denouncing their discrimination and which enable to build action guidelines for the European Union. But if we merely speak about these European action guidelines, we won't overcome these problems and progress. So we also need to build on these reports and the data that we possess to put in place local initiatives in order to coordinate our efforts and make integration a matter for all."
4. CUTAWAY: SYLVIE GUILLAUME TALKING DURING THE CONFERENCE
5. CUTAWAY: SYLVIE GUILLAUME (S&D MEP, FR) SAYING (FRENCH):
"What we would like to do today, on the basis of these elements, is to make these exchanges of good practices which shows that, with the support of European funds and the Member States, communities can be supported and be heard so that they can progress on this question of the integration of Roma people."
6. CUTAWAY: DAMIAN DRAGHICI (COUNSELLOR OF THE PRIME MINISTER & SENATOR, RO) SAYING (ENGLISH):
"First of all, one of the main missions is to implement a strategy.
7. CUTAWAY: DAMIAN DRAGHICI TALKING DURING THE CONFERENCE
"Second of all, to take the Roma issue – I shouldn't even call it an issue - to take it as seriously as possible because it is a thing that has been staying around for so many years and we are still pushing it from left to right to another country… We are constantly playing with it instead of taking action and finally integrate the Roma in the society."
8. CUTAWAY: HEINZ SCHADEN LISTENING TO THE SPEAKERS
9. HEINZ SCHADEN (MAYOR OF SALZBURG, CoR MEMBER, AT) SAYING (ENGLISH):
"When we talk to the people in our streets, in the shelters, they tell us that begging in the streets of Salzburg gives them a better living than at home. And here we are at the centre of the problem. We should fight poverty at its source. And I can only say that on behalf of my city we are perfectly willing to assist the home countries of the Romas that are now under the freedom of movement in the EU, which should not be touched at all."
10. CUTAWAY: VAIROUS OF YOUNG ROMAS ASKING QUESTION AT THE PANEL
BUCHAREST, ROMANIA (OCTOBER 12, 2010) (EUROPEAN COMMISSION AUDIOVISUAL –ACCESS ALL)
1. CUTAWAY: VARIOUS OF ROMA CHILDREN AT SCHOOL
2. CUTAWAY: VARIOUS OF ROMA PEOPLE WORKING IN A CANTINE
This media asset is free for editorial broadcast, print, online and radio use. It is restricted for use for other purposes.