03 Dec 2013
BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (DECEMBER 3, 2013) (SOCIALISTS AND DEMOCRATS, EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT - ACCESS ALL)
1. QUESTION PANEL: 'DO YOU THINK AUSTERITY MEASURES CAN PUT AN END TO THE EUROPEAN CRISIS?'
2. VOX-POP 1, MAN SAYING (FRENCH):
"I don't think so because for me it's not by freezing salaries, by reducing the purchasing power and by discouraging initiatives that we will relaunch the economy."
3. VOX-POP 2, WOMEN SAYING (FRENCH):
"Just seeing the example of Greece, I don't think so. Apparently they are still falling into the depression of this endless crisis."
4. VOX-POP 3, YOUNG MAN SAYING (FRENCH):
"Let's say that it is a bit like if we shad a burn victim at the emergencies and that we would told him 'well sir, to cure you, we have to take off your bandage.' According to me it would be better to invest in a lot of bandage for the burn victims."
5. CUTAWAY: VARIOUS OF EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT IN BRUSSELS (EXTERIOR)
6. CUTAWAY: VARIOUS OF THE CONFERENCE FOR A PROGRESSIVE ECONOMY
7. HANNES SWOBODA (S&D PRESIDENT, AT) SAYING (ENGLISH):
"In 2033 Spain's unemployment rate will be about the average of Europe. I don't know what the average of Europe will be, it will not perhaps be the lowest one but that is a news we have to see and that is the situation we have in Europe today."
8. CUTAWAY: HANNES SWOBODA DURING THE CONFERENCE
9. HANNES SWOBODA (S&D PRESIDENT, AT) SAYING (ENGLISH):
"It's a bout a clash between ideologies, philosophies, attitudes, towards growth, investments, jobs. And of course we would like more investments, more growth, more jobs created and that means less restrictive and short-term cuts in the budget and a longer-term perspective to give countries time to stabilize their budget but also to invest in growth. "
10. CUTAWAY: HANNES SWOBODA TALKING TO A COLLEAGUE DURING THE CONFERENCE
11. HANNES SWOBODA (S&D PRESIDENT, AT) SAYING (ENGLISH):
"I expect that Olli Rehn shows some flexibility, more understanding of needs of the countries in crisis, for the need to generate growth and more jobs."
12. CUTAWAY: OLLI REHN IN THE PANEL, TALKING DURING THE CONFERENCE
13. OLLI REHN (VICE-PRESIDENT OF THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION) SAYING (ENGLISH):
"There is no silver bullet for growth and prosperity in Europe. Trust me if there were, we would have already have fired that silver bullet. The road to recovery will continue to require difficult choices and wizened determined policies. "
14. CUTAWAY: XAVIER TIMBEAU TALKING DURING THE CONFERENCE
15. XAVIER TIMBEAU (AUTHOR OF THE INDEPENDENT ANNUAL GROWTH SURVEY) SAYING (FRENCH):
"The conclusions of our report: the first one is a diagnosis which states that we are still in crisis and there are still processes – high unemployment, salary deflation – that induce that the crisis will last minimum ten more years and that it is urgent to do something. Then we do a certain number of propositions. Relaunch public investments, which had been cut during the crisis and which means that today we don't invest in the future anymore. This public investment has of course to be profitable and efficient but it is criminal nowadays to not invest in the future. We need to create a low-carbon economy and not to create it is also criminal."
16. CUTAWAY: SHOT OF PEOPLE ATTENDING THE CONFERENCE AND LISTENING TO THE SPEAKER
This media asset is free for editorial broadcast, print, online and radio use. It is restricted for use for other purposes.