22 Oct 2013
1. CUTAWAY: THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT IN STRASBOURG (EXTERIOR)
2. CUTAWAY: VARIOUS OF THE VOTE ON MEDICAL DEVICES
3. CUTAWAY: THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT IN STRASBOURG (INTERIOR)
4. DAGMAR ROTH-BEHRENDT (S&D MEP, DE) SAYING (ENGLISH):
"My main objective was patient safety. I wanted to fulfil the need of doctors and surgeons who want to have safe products for their patients and to increase the safety of every products coming to the market. That was my purpose for this report but it could have been achieved."
5. CUTAWAY: DAGMAR ROTH-BEHRENDT TALKING TO HER COLLEAGUES
6. DAGMAR ROTH-BEHRENDT (S&D MEP, DE) SAYING (ENGLISH):
"We have better parts in 'reprocessing', that means using medical devices again. This point was better than in the Commission proposal. It is as well better than there will be in the future a specific notified-body looking at risk products".
7. CUTAWAY: DAGMAR ROTH-BEHRENDT TALKING TO HER COLLEAGUES
8. DAGMAR ROTH-BEHRENDT (S&D MEP, DE) SAYING (ENGLISH):
"The scope – so, what is a 'high-risk' material - has today been reduced in a way by the conservatives, the Christian-democrats and the liberals in the European Parliament in a way which is unacceptable and I want to see them to justify that in front of their voters."
BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (SEPTEMBER 25, 2013) (SOCIALISTS AND DEMOCRATS, EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT - ACCESS ALL)
9. CUTAWAY: VARIOUS OF THE TEST-ACHAT SOCIETY BUILDING (EXTERIOR)
10. CUTAWAY: MARTINE VAN HECKE LOOKING AT IMPLANT SURGERY IMAGES ON HER COMPUTER
11. MARTINE VAN HECKE (DOCTOR AND COORDINATOR OF THE HEALHCARE TEAM AT TEST-ACHAT) SAYING (FRENCH SPEECH):
"This is fundamental to have a law which could guarantee the efficiency and the safety of medical implants. We had too many scandals in the past – PIP implants, blade HIP – leading to a lack of confidence from patients. This confidence needs to be recovered."
12. CUTAWAY: VARIOUS OF MARTINE VAN HECKE READING THE TESTIMONY OF DORIA DE WILDE, VICTIM OF COMPLICATIONS DUE TO THE POSE OF MEDICAL DEVICES.
FLANDERS, BELGIUM (DATE UNKNOWN) (SOCIALISTS AND DEMOCRATS, EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT - ACCESS ALL)
1. DORIA DE WILDE, VICTIM OF COMPLICATIONS DUE TO THE POSE OF MEDICAL DEVICES SAYING (DUTCH SPEECH – FRENCH VOICE-OVER):
« Following a uterine prolapse, my gynaecologist suggested me to place a synthetic mesh for holding the uterus up. According to him, it would have been a non-invasive operation , less painful than a uterus ablation and including less risks ».
« This operation changed my life in many aspects: following the mesh removal, I had a sibsidence of my own tissues and I went through a new operation for reinforcing everything ».
« Today, the sitting position make me suffer and I just can't sit in a soft seat. This is not livable : I can't cross my legs, neither having sexual relations. I can't practise in my job field (healthcare) anymore although I enjoyed it. This is the most difficult for me».
This media asset is free for editorial broadcast, print, online and radio use. It is restricted for use for other purposes.