12 Jan 2016
Ready-to-air version of the story "MEPs ask for tax justice and fair
working conditions at MC Donald's"
BELGIUM, BRUSSELS (JANUARY 12, 2016) AND FRANCE, STRASBOURG (JANUARY 20) (SOCIALISTS AND DEMOCRATS, EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT - ACCESS ALL)
1. CUTAWAYS : VARIOUS OF MCDONALD RESTAURANT’S BUILDINGS AND CUSTOMERS (EXTERIOR – 4 SHOTS)
2. VOICE-OVER SAYING (ENGLISH):
Mc Donalds, the world's largest fast food restaurant chain. the company registers annual revenues of $27.5 billion, however a significant proportion of its profits are hidden every year thanks to secret tax deals.
3. CUTAWAYS : VARIOUS OF THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION’S BUILDING (EXTERIOR – 4 SHOTS)
4. VOICE-OVER SAYING (ENGLISH):
The European Commission is taking this matter seriously and has opened an investigation to examine if McDonalds received improper state aid from Lumembourg. This initiative is due to the pressure from trade unions and from the special TAX committee in the European parliament :
5. CUTAWAYS: PETER SIMON TALKING TO HIS ASSISTANT (1 SHOT)
6. PETER SIMON (S&D SPOKEPERSON FOR THE SPECIAL TAXE COMMITTEE) SAYING (ENGLISH):
“Due to the information we got from trade unions, from 2009 to 2013, McDonald paid 16 million $ taxes on 3.7 billion imposable income. We have to check this and the taxes which have not been paid, have to be paid now”.
7. CUTAWAYS: VARIOUS OF MCDONALDS’ RESTAURANTS AND CUSTOMERS (3 SHOTS)
8. VOICE-OVER SAYING (ENGLISH):
In the meantime, Three Italian associations of consumers have filed a complaint to the Commission against the firm for abusing its dominant position.
9. THOMAS WOODRUFF (“CHANGE TO WIN”, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR) SAYING (ENGLISH):
“Their business model is based on driving their workers into poverty, and creating profits by unfair competition”.
10. PATRICK ORR (EUROPEAN PUBLIC SERVICE UNION – EPSU -, POLICY ASSISTANT) SAYING (ENGLISH): “Everybody looses out with this type of business model except for this giant multinational company that makes billions of euros of profit every year in Europe whilst paying very little tax.“
11. VOICE-OVER SAYING (ENGLISH):
Besides McDonald’s possible tax avoidance ,the social practices of the company have also raised questions from workers’ associations. Lawanda Williamson has been working in McDonald for 2 years and strongly supports the complaints filed.
12. CUTAWAYS: LAWANDA WILLIAMSON TALKING TO A COLLEAGUE (2 SHOTS)
13. LAWANDA WILLIAMSON (EMPLOYEE AT MCDONALD’S) SAYING (ENGLISH):
“I get hired to do a cashier’s position but I am doing a maintenance man’s job… How can you cross-contaminate with the food like that? You can’t go and clean up a bathroom and then come and serve a customer. It is not right. You can get burnt. When you get burnt, they give you mustard. They don’t let you go home, take a little few time off to rest or make sure you are ok. They give you mustard and you get back to work. ”
14. CUTAWAYS: VARIOUS OF MCDONALDS’ RESTAURANTS AND CUSTOMERS (3 SHOTS)
15. VOICE-OVER SAYING (ENGLISH):
Zero hour contract and low ages also build upon the list of complaints. Under the request of British, Belgian and French unions, the European Parliament will soon investigate the bad working conditions imposed by the enterprise upon its European subsidiaries.
16. CUTAWAYS : JUTTA STEINRUCK TALKING TO HER ASSISTANT (2 SHOTS)
17. JUTTA STEINRUCK (S&D SPOKEPERSON ON EMPLOYMENT AND SOCIAL AFFAIRS) SAYING (ENGLISH):
“The Bakers Union from the UK and the Baecher Trade Unions want us to investigate the abuse of several of our contracts or the so called ‘flexi-jobs’. The French Unions call for uniform working conditions, both in franchisees and restaurants owned directly by McDonald’s.”
18. VOICE-OVER SAYING (ENGLISH):
The export of McDonald’s business model oversees will definitely be fought by the European Union and by…the US workers.
19. CUTAWAYS: VARIOUS OF MCDONALDS’ RESTAURANTS AND CUSTOMERS (3 SHOTS)
20. CUTAWAYS: LAWANDA WILLIAMSON TALKING TO A COLLEAGUE
21. LAWANDA WILLIAMSON (EMPLOYEE AT MCDONALD’S) SAYING (ENGLISH):
“I noticed that not only is it happening in the USA, it is happening everywhere. So I am taking a stand, something needs to happen, McDonald’s need to be held accountable for all its actions. It has to change.”
This media asset is free for editorial broadcast, print, online and radio use. It is restricted for use for other purposes.