SOURCE: Volvo Ocean Race
Team Vestas Wind finish 4th in Leg 1 of the Volvo Ocean Race
"We knew the first leg for us was just trying to get a reasonable finish and I think to be honest this is above expectations. We wanted better, you've got to set your sights high, but it's given us more confidence for future legs and the rest of the race. We're in a lot better shape now than we were in Alicante," he said.
There's still all to play for the three crews at the rear of the fleet as they approach the final stretch of the 6,487 nautical mile (nm) opening leg.
Fifth spot looks securely in Team Alvimedica's grasp (Charlie Enright/USA) despite a maddening spell in a windless patch during which they moved barely a mile. They are expected to arrive shortly, late on Thursday or early Friday.
The women of Team SCA (Sam Davies/GBR), for so long the back-markers of the fleet after weather pattern after weather pattern went against them, were gunning to overtake Spanish rivals MAPFRE (Iker Martínez/ESP) in the final 300nm.
At 1340 UTC on Thursday, there were just six miles between the two boats.
Team Vestas Wind:
- Chris Nicholson (AUS) - Skipper
- Wouter Verbraak (ED) - Navigator
- Maciel Cicchetti (ARG) - Watch Captain
- Nicolai Shested (DEN) - Trimmer/Under 30s crew member
- Peter Wibroe (DEN) - Trimmer/Under 30s crew member
- Tom Johnson (AUS) - Bowman/Under 30s crew member
- Rob Salthouse (NZL) - Watch Captain
- Tony Rae (NZL) - Trimmer -
- Brian Carlin (IRE) - onboard reporter