- India presents an opportunity for further sustained growth in the fifth largest new car market in the world
- Construction of Andhra Pradesh facility to commence in Q4 2017
- Mass production due to begin in 2019, with 300,000-unit annual capacity
- US$1.1 billion investment agreement for establishment of manufacturing plant in India
- CORONAVIRUS NEWS: Confirmed fatalities from Covid-19 rise above 700,000 worldwide
- CORONAVIRUS NEWS: Hyundai Motor Group provides pandemic mobility support to residents of Los Angeles
- CORONAVIRUS NEWS: "There’s no silver bullet at the moment and there might never be." WHO Director-General
- CORONAVIRUS NEWS: Find daily news, feature stories, quotes and advice related to the outbreak of Covid-19
Kia Motors to build manufacturing plant in India
Release Date: 27 April 2017
Kia Motors has signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the State Government of Andhra Pradesh, India to build a new manufacturing facility in Anantapur District. The MOU was signed today at a ceremony held in the city of Vijayawada, a part of Andhra Pradesh Capital Region, attended by executives from Kia Motors and the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, Nara Chandrababu Naidu.
Construction of the new manufacturing facility, Kia Motors’ first in India and representing approximately a US$1.1 billion investment, will commence in the final quarter of 2017. The manufacturing facility is expected to begin production in the second half of 2019 and produce up to approximately 300,000 units each year.
Kia plans to produce a strategic compact sedan and compact SUV especially for the Indian market at the new plant, which will occupy around 23 million square feet (2.16 km2 / 536 acres) and incorporate facilities for stamping, welding, painting and assembly. The site will also be home to numerous supplier companies’ facilities.
“We are delighted to announce that Kia’s newest manufacturing facility will be here in Andhra Pradesh,” said Han-Woo Park, President of Kia Motors. “It will enable us to sell cars in the world’s fifth largest market, while providing greater flexibility for our global business. Worldwide demand for Kia cars is growing and this is our latest step towards becoming a leading global car manufacturer.”
Manufacturing in the fastest-growing major new car market
Construction of a new manufacturing facility in India will enable Kia to maintain its position as one of the world’s fastest-growing automobile brands. The new facility in Anantapur will enable the company to start selling its models in India, and benefit from further sustainable sales growth, locally and internationally.
Kia plans to commence local sales of cars produced at the new facility towards the end of 2019, once mass production begins in Anantapur. Furthermore, the region’s fast-developing supply chain network and skilled labor force were other key reasons for the new investment by Kia Motors.
India is the fastest growing major new car market and the fifth largest in the world, with more than 3.3 million new cars sold in 2016. Forecasts suggest the country will become the third-largest car market by the end of 2020.
04 Aug 2020
30 Jul 2020