You can quickly and easily find an answer by browsing our list of frequently asked questions.
If your questions are not answered below, or if you prefer to call or email us directly, please contact your local PR office.
thenewsmarket.com is a free resource for journalists and media professionals to download copyright-free multimedia content from some of the world’s top brands and organisations. Registered journalists have full unrestricted access to our content library and can download video, images, audio and other press materials at the click of a button.
All of the content and multimedia materials on thenewsmarket are free and most are rights-free to the print, broadcast and online news media. In rare cases, certain content may have an embargo or usage restriction, which will be noted to you when you attempt to download.
Multimedia content can be found in any story/news release in the “Latest News” section or the “Beats” section. Additional content can be found in the section named “Video, Images, and Audio”.
When the All Media Panel showcases any content, you are also presented a number of options (as shown on the left in the illustration below).
- “More Info”: clicking on this option allows you to see more details on the asset being viewed.
- “Download”: click on this option to directly download any multimedia file
- “Share”: various sharing options are shown that allow you to embed, email, or retrieve a direct link to any content being viewed. You also share the content being viewed through your favorite social networking and bookmarking sites.
RSS feeds deliver you real-time information on the topics you are interested in. The RSS feeds will notify you when late breaking stories and new content is published on the site.thenewsmarket has multiple RSS feeds, allowing you to choose the topics that you would like to subscribe to.
To subscribe to an RSS feed, you can copy the feed URL to the RSS client of your choice. Alternatively, you can click the XML button to access the XML directly for ingestion to most other newsreaders or "aggregators".
When viewing any individual asset, you can do any of the following:
- Download it immediately by clicking on download button as illustrated below (shown as the farthest left option)
- Save it for downloading at a later date by clicking on the Media Cart button as illustrated below (shown as the farthest right option)
When viewing a story, you can do one of the following:
- Save all assets in the story to your Media Cart for sharing or downloading later by clicking on the button named "Add All to Media Cart"
- Download all assets in the story at one time by clicking on the button named "Download All"
Download each asset individually by clicking on the download button next to the selected asset:
Most videos assets available on the site can be downloaded in broadcast quality. Stories containing HD content will show the following icon:
Thenewsmarket Download Queue organizes all the files you download from any site powered by thenewsmarket. For every download, you will be shown the asset title, file name and size, the source domain, and the date.
The Download Queue will keep a history of your downloads until you click “CLEAR QUEUE" or until you remove assets individually by clicking on the "X" button illustrated below:
The Download Queue window will appear every time you download a video, image, or audio file from any site powered by thenewsmarket
You can also find a link to the Download Queue at the top right corner of the page
On desktops and tablets: click on the link named :Download Queue at the top right corner of the page:
On mobile devices: click on the menu icon shown at the top left corner of the page:
Then look for the option named “Download Queue”:
The Queue Manager plugin enhances the Download Queue (described in the previous question) by adding in a number of additional controls described below.
NOTE that as of February 2016, the Queue Manager is no longer available for download. Help information shown on this page is intended for users who have previously installed it.
- Windows XP: Click on the “Start” menu > Control Panel > “Add Or Remove Programs”. Select "Akamai NetSession Interface" and click “Remove”.
- Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8: Click on the “Start” menu > Control Panel > Programs > Programs And Features. Select "Akamai NetSession Interface" and click “Uninstall”.
- Mac OS: Drag the Queue Manager plug-in from the Applications folder to the Trash
A number of new buttons will be shown on the download window, each of which are described below.
- “PAUSE ALL”: Use this option to pause all active downloads
- “RESUME ALL”: This feature resumes all paused downloads.
- “CLEAR COMPLETE”: this option remove all completed or cancelled downloads from this list. Note, however, that this does not delete the clips from your computer.
- Opening a file: when a download for any file completes, double-click on it to open the file
Pausing a download: you can pause an individual download that is currently being downloaded by clicking the button illustrated below. Pausing a download allows you to give priority and bandwidth to other downloads so they can complete sooner.
Canceling a download: this feature allows you to interrupt and cancel downloading for a specific file
The Media Cart is a feature that allows you to save a collection of assets that can be viewed, shared, or downloaded at a later time.
An option is available for all assets that allows you to add them to the Media Cart.
On desktops: hover over any asset, and the Media Cart option will appear on the far right side as shown below:
On tablets and mobile devices: the option to add content to Media Cart appears alongside assets as the bottom button:
When viewing any story, you also have the option to add all of its assets to the Media Cart at once:
On desktops and tablets: click on the “Media Cart” link at the top of the page:
On mobile devices: click on the image of the cog at the top of the page:
Then select the option for “Media Cart”:
From the Media Cart page, you can perform any of the following:
- Download all assets at once
- Download assets individually
- Remove assets from the Media Cart
- Email the Media Cart’s content as a list to any recipient
- To download all assets at once, click “Download All”
- To download assets individually, click on an asset’s download button as you would on any other page
- To remove all assets from the Media Cart, click on the option to “Empty Media Cart”
To remove any asset individually, click on the option represented with the trash bin as illustrated below. On desktops, this option will appear when you hover over an asset within the Media Cart page. For tablets and mobile devices, this option will be shown alongside the asset
To email the contents of the Media Cart, click on the option reading “Send Media Cart”.
Enter the email addresses for recipients and an “Access Code” to password-protect the Media Cart being sent if desired (recipients will be required to enter in the passcode to view the Media Cart). Recipients will then be sent a link to a copy of the Media Cart you have created (users will never be able to access your Media Cart directly).
www.thenewsmarket.com works best on the following browsers and operating systems:
Microsoft Windows 7,8,10:
Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 and above.
- The Compatibility View feature of Internet Explorer is not supported
- Google Chrome 20 and above
- Mozilla Firefox 24 and above
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 and above.
Apple Mac OS X 10.6 and above:
- Google Chrome 20 and above
- Mozilla Firefox 24 and above
- Apple Safari 8 and above
- Apple iOS 8 and above
- Android 4.1 (Jellybean) and above