Beyond the Green Pitch
Founded in 2003, the Instituto Fazer Acontecer, based in Salvador de Bahia, promotes sports activities and training in human rights to young people living in disadvantaged areas. The main idea is to use football to educate through play and fun, providing opportunities for social inclusion and development of personal skills to the young participants in the programme. Football3 methodology is already used in 16 municipalities and reaches young adults in the rural areas where most of the challenges lie. Combining sport with environmental awareness activities works as a tool for effective social change in the target communities and provides education in human rights, establishing a relationship of respect and a feeling of being respected and of belonging in the community.
The UEFA Foundation for Children will support the Beyond the Green Pitch project, which aims to:
- train 300 instructors in football3 methodology and in combining football with environmental awareness activities;
- involve 900 young people (boys and girls) aged between 11 and 17 from 15 municipalities in the programme.
- Create a new sporting and environmental culture in the municipalities taking part in the project;
- Raise the self-esteem of the participants (instructors and young people);
- Promote environmental awareness in the region;
- Specific goals:
2) to promote capacity-building in sport and the environment among the 300 instructors,
3) to involve 900 young people aged between 11 and 17 from the municipalities taking part in the project in weekly activities (sport and environmental awareness),
4) to establish sustainable projects in at least half of the participating municipalities.
• Reach 1,200 individuals (300 instructors and 900 young people)
• Impact public policies of the 15 municipalities by introducing the football3 methodology in schools
• Impact indirectly 5,000 people (families, institutions and communities)